It’s no secret that the year 2020 has been dismal for several reasons. As a retail business owner, it’s been difficult to remain optimistic amidst the pandemic and a most divisive election season. However, if there is a silver lining to this looming cloud, it helped me come to a realization that has allowed me to make some changes to my business model.
As I grow closer 60 years old and an eventual retirement, I’ve come to realize that for my own personal health and well being, I needed to cut back. I’m just not able to log 60+ hours and work 6 or 7 days every week. In order for me to continue to offer my services as a floral designer to the Valley area, I’m forging a new path. It’s somewhat different for a flower shop, but it is a necessary move for me to be able to continue to work and do what I love. Below is an outline of my new business plan that will be a permanent change at the House of Flowers:
* My hours are 9am-3pm Monday through Friday. I will be closed Saturday and Sunday.
* Delivery service and curbside pickup will be available. All orders must be placed by phone or on our website.
* Same day delivery is available Mon-Fri if I receive your order by Noon.
* Our showroom will be permanently closed to walk in customers. If you need to come to the shop for any reason (to purchase cemetery flowers, pay a bill, order family funeral flowers, etc), you must call ahead for an appointment. However, if you drive to my shop and you catch me there, I’ll be glad to let you in (masked, of course, if during the pandemic). Just call…my shop number is clearly noted on signage inside my front window.
* During the week of Valentines Day and Mother’s Day, I will open the shop fully for walk in customers and will extend the operating hours (assuming that Covid19 is no longer a threat).
With these changes, I’m able to keep expenses down and cut my hours to a more manageable level. I hope to be able to continue to serve the Valley area for many more years as the most decorated and award winning designer in the region. This new plan will help to alleviate my stress level substantially, which will in turn allow me to stay healthy and happy for many more years!
I have utmost gratitude to all our many customers over the last 50+ years since my father opened our doors. I hope I can count on your support as I blaze a new path for me and my shop. I promise to continue to give you the absolute best floral designs made with the freshest flowers available.
Steven Sorrell, owner